iBook trackpad still not working

Robert Thompson rothomp3 at vt.edu
Fri Nov 3 05:34:39 EST 2000

Hi, I don't know if y'all remember me, but I have been having trouble
getting my iBook SE's trackpad working under Linux for months now. Recently
Nathan Wagner (nw at granicus.if.org) complained on the list of a similar
problem with his Pismo, only he was using 2.4.0testSomethingorOther. I just
rsynced linux-pmac-stable, and the problem persists. It started when benh
merged the new input layer into his tree (which I had to use for Rage
Mobility support and so forth). I did some testing with the latest
linux-pmac-stable::

If I configure the kernel not to use the new input layer for adb, the
trackpad does not work. doing 'cat /dev/adbmouse > mousedata.out' to test
results in "/dev/adbmouse: Resource temporarily unavailable". GPM was not
running. X was not running. dmesg reports that everything was detected fine,
says I have an adbmouse at 3 and sets handler to 4 (trackpad).

If I configure the kernel with the new input layer, the trackpad *still*
doesn't work. This time, I get no errors of any kind, it just "doesn't
work." dmesg still reports everything detected fine, registers input devices
and event devices and mouse0 and mouse1 (apparently, the mouse button
emulation) and mentions mice as the PS/2 device for all mice in the system.
Repeating the cat test with 'cat /dev/mice > mouseout.data' now results in
an empty file, no matter how much I move my finger on the trackpad and click
the button. No errors are reported on screen or in any log, there's just no
data coming from the trackpad. Same results with /dev/mouse0.

Attached is the dmesg for the kernel with the input layer.

So, does anybody have any ideas? The keyboard works fine, so it's not a
large ADB problem. It must be specific to mouse/trackpad handling...

Thanks,
Robbie Thompson