Powerbook hard freeze summary (sort of)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 25 00:18:37 EST 2000

Okay, we have a couple of people running stable Lombards with
more than 64 MB.

On the other hand, we have people having hard freezes with
Lombard and Pismos even with 64 MB.

So my analysis is as follows:

High bus speed (400 Mhz) seems to be necessary to trigger this hard
freeze.
More memory makes it more likely for hard freezes to appear.

If there is a problem with the memory it is more likely that it is with the
original 64 MB.

Is there somebody out there having a >=400 Mhz Lombard
and Pismo who is _not encountering hard freezes_ under high pressure?
(Preferably with more that 64MB. Because I never got the hard freeze
when I only used 64MB with the mem=64MB switch.)

It might as well be a design problem of the Powerbooks. Can any of the
hardware kernel hackers comments on the differences in architecture
for powerbooks and the other G3s? Maybe a linux driver is written sloppy
in this area not taking in account how the hardware actually works?

	Bernhard

ps.: Just I reminder: I am not subscribed ot the list.