memory pb on Pismo... rumors or reality...

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at mipsys.com
Wed May 24 22:23:29 EST 2000

On Wed, May 24, 2000, Michel Dänzer <daenzer at relog.ch> wrote:

>> But this is not related to the memory pb... as you have 64 meg only. My
>> question was more about the risk of "numerous" chrashes on a machine with 2
>> memory banks. (as this was reported here a while ago).
>
>AFAIR the cause for the lockups hasn't been determined yet, and I'm a counter
>example for the theory that it's caused by certain memory configurations.

The Lombard problem may be a different issue. Paul told me his Lombard
powerbook used to have random garbage appearing in memory at a certain
location, he changed his motherboard (not the RAM module) 3 times before
getting one that didn't exhibit this behaviour :( that sucks !

The Pismo uses a completely different memory controller. It may have a
similar problem however...