Paul's 2.2.15 does not boot a 7200

Andreas Tobler toa at pop.agri.ch
Sun May 21 02:04:53 EST 2000

Ethan Benson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have rsynced paul's stable kernel tree to 2.2.15 proper (no pre),
> this kernel works quite well with a G3 via yaboot, but will not boot a
> 7200 (via quik).  I have tried my own custom config as well as Paul's
> config included in the rsync tree.  quik loads the kernel successfully
> and prints `Copying Device tree' just like it does for 2.2.14 but the
> monitor just stays black and nothing else happens, it never boots any
> further.
>
> the quik used is the current debian quik sources, patched by Dan
> Jacobowitz to support powermacs. (there is no macos on this machine so
> bootx is not an option, nor testable)
>
> has anyone else had problems with 2.2.15 on 7200s?
>
> the system runs Debian potato, and runs paul's 2.2.14.
No problems here, 2.2.15 and pre16-3 vanilla, with bootx(1.2b1). I don't
boot from MESH, I use my adaptec 2940UW. The same with dev kernels...
make pmac_config
make menuconfig (enable some eth dev's, disable parport and dos fs)
make vmlinux
make modules
make modules_install
put it to MacOS, reboot with 2.2.15, it still runs....

I know, not very helpful.

Andreas