Pismo status

Sergio Brandano sb at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Sat May 20 19:51:31 EST 2000

 I do not know why I am wasting time with this issue. Anyway, I have a
 very different experience on cooling both cars and computers. All the
 cars I happen to see do run the fan after shutdown (I can clearly
 hear the quiet after shutdown, then the sound of the fan after a few
 seconds). This is probably due to a different design for countries
 with a warm weather, as you report otherwise. Concerning computers,
 and Linux, it is running this OS that the situation improved, as far
 as Intel processors are concerned. I can say that the cpus, before
 the advent of the caged P-II, where so cold that I could safaly touch
 them. This was, again, using Linux. Using MS-Windows, instead, I
 could *not* do the similar thing for sure. And I have been using
 Intel processors for a long, long time. I have a very different
 experience with PPC. I purchased my first one last summer, and it is
 damn hot. How is that Linux does not help here? How is that PPC is
 claimed to be cooler than Intel? The bla-bla takes a different shape
 when you touch with the finger eh? I also experienced that GNOME's
 screen saver pumps up the CPU to 100% when it is active. If the
 PowerBook is cool before triggering the screen saver, it gets boiling
 hot (with fan spinning) after 30mins. Why is that? I would expect it
 to shut the display off and similar things, rather than deliberately
 trying to fry my baby. Anyway, I am done with this topic.

 Good luck you all.

 Sergio