BMAC+ & Full Duplex

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Sat May 20 05:13:18 EST 2000

On Fri, May 19, 2000, Timothy A. Seufert <tas at mindspring.com> wrote:

>I'm pretty sure your 1999 PowerBook uses the same BMAC+ Ethernet as
>his PowerMac G3.  The auto-sensing feature doesn't work with all
>Ethernet hubs/switches, which is why he's having problems and you
>aren't.
>
>I have a couple B&W G3s connected to a 5-port 100BaseT switch, and
>they successfully autonegotiate full duplex 100BaseT under both MacOS
>and Linux.

There are known auto-neg problems with Apple eth. chips. We should
provide a way to force the driver duplex and speed modes. I beleive an
ioctl along with a small command line tool would be cool, but maybe not
enough (a compile option or kernel command line args would help for
people netbooting).

I've not find "standard" ioctl I could implement for that, so I beleive
we just can invent a new one and add it to MACE, BMAC and GMAC drivers.
I'll look into this when I'm back along with some GMAC fixes.