[linux-fbdev] Re: macmodes/modedb

Brad Douglas Brad at NERUO.com
Fri May 19 02:54:19 EST 2000

This may be a possibility.  Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the inner
workings of DDC.  If anyone has docs on how this works, I'll take a stab at
adding support to fbdev.

> > Another option is to not try and do everything in fb_find_mode().
>
> You cannot do everything in fb_find_mode() since monitor sense is
> a per-monitor issue, not global.

As of now, all drivers have a 1:1 relationship with a monitor.  Even the
Matrox G400 driver insmods a second driver for the 2nd head.  Should we
expect this to change?  I do not believe fbdev is capable of initializing
two video cards from a single driver, but I could be wrong -- I have no
ability to test.

> One possible thing (in each fbdev driver :-(
>
>     default_mode = NULL;
> #ifdef CONFIG_PPC_ALL
>     sense = ...;
>     default_mode = mac_map_monitor_sense(sense);
> #endif
>     ... = fb_find_mode(..., default_mode, ...);

I believe this would be acceptable, but we'll have to change
mac_map_monitor_sense() to return fb_videomode instead of VMODE.
fb_find_mode() will be unhappy to get an int when it's expecting
fb_videomode. ;)

> Or: should it be considered as a real mode_option (if mode_option == NULL)
> instead of a default mode?

Looking at things now, I think the default_mode is the way to go.  "Pushing"
mode_options may make things a little more confusing (well, I guess it's
nothing a little documentation won't clear up).  I still like the fallback
to NVRAM values if there are no boot options or if the boot options fail.

It looks like we have a couple ways to do this.  Suggestions?

Brad Douglas
brad at neruo.com
http://www.linux-fbdev.org