Pismo status

Sven LUTHER luther at debian.org
Fri May 19 00:33:42 EST 2000

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 10:15:24PM -0700, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> At 2:08 PM +0200 5/17/00, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 12:54:22PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> >>  > Tim Wojtulewicz wrote:
> >>  > > No it's definitely supposed to have a fan.  It comes on in MacOS.
> >>  > > The problem is that the PMU is not fully supported yet, so it doesn't
> >>  > > understand that the processor is too hot.  I'm trying to find
> >>  >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>  > Does this mean that I can damage the machine if I just run a high-load
> >>  > program?!?
> >>
> >>  I strongly doubt that. The PMU should handle this autonomously, regardless
> >>  of Linux support for the PMU.
> >
> >Also, i think the ppc cpu will halt itself when becoming too hot,
>
> No, it will not.
>
> The PowerPC 750 (G3) and 7400 (G4) can both fire off an interrupt
> when the on-die temperature sensor reading rises above a trigger
> value (or falls below a second trigger value).  This feature *could*
> be used by an operating system to slow down the CPU (through the

So this mean that the G3 and G4 cpus have both the equivalent of
speedstep/whatever that AMD & Intel are introducing as a big novelty ?

> instruction cache throttling feature) or halt it to prevent
> overheating.  However, there is no hardware feature which can halt
> the CPU without software control.

Are you sure about this ? did you already manage to burn out a ppc cpu like
you do when running a pentium without a fan ?

> >  and not let
> >itself burn. At elast it was so since the earlier 680x0 cpus.
>
> As far as I know none of the 680x0 CPUs even had an on-die
> temperature sensor, let alone a thermal shutdown feature.

I think to remember that the later 680X0 have, maybe not a temperature sensor,
but a way to halt themself before burning, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER