Lombard hard freeze (update: mem>64MB)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 11 03:55:13 EST 2000

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:53:52AM -0700, David A. Gatwood wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > When I had only 64MB the system was stable!
> > I managed to compile GRASS (which is among the biggest free software
> > projects) and other things.
> >
> > Plugging in a different 128MB and a different 64MB, both in the first
> > slot, made the system unstable each time.
>
> So it worked with your original 64 megs, but it fails with a different 64
> meg part and a 128 meg part?

It was stalbe with my original 64 megs.
Putting additional RAM in made it unstable.
The symptom occurred with three differnent addition RAM simms.
128,128,64 megs.

> I don't see how that can be anything but bad
> hardware, either something wrong with the motherboard or a pair of bad
> SIMM/DIMM parts or dirty contacts or incorrectly seated RAM.

The problem is that a simple RAM stress test under MacOS would certainly
reveal that. (If it is a simple hardware problem, like you suggested.)

But the RAM tests were passed in MacOS so far.
(I have another one running right now. It will take a bit.)

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)