Help with cross-endian bitfields?

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Sat May 6 06:05:52 EST 2000

jlquinn at us.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi, all.  I'm working on getting the Advansys driver working and what
> appears to be the final stumbling block is a difference in the layout of
> bitfields between little-endian and big-endian systems.

IMHO, bit fields are not normally a good thing to be using if this is
describing a real device register.  The compiler is able to read/write
in ways that may not be proper for hardware access.  For device registers
and when this is a data structure in memory, the cross-platform method
of using macros for reading writing 16- and 32-bit values and then 'C'
operators for testing/setting bits has worked pretty well in the past.....

	-- Dan