LongTrail PCI resource assignment

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Mar 27 19:43:21 EST 2000

> > I've seen a device option "UseFBDev" in XF86Config. I take that to mean
> > XFree knows a particular device (even with it's BusID specified) is going
> > to be handled by a framebuffer driver.
>
> No. The option is in the Device Section and thus driver-dependant. It just
> tells the driver to use fbdev for mode setting/switching etc. instead of
> banging the hardware directly. The option can be there but not the fbdev, the
> driver should then just fall back to banging.

OK, that explains this option. I've looked for a XConfig man page in the
source without success, and I have a few more

> If you can't fix/work around it yourself, you could post your ideas to
> devel at XFree86.Org (state clearly that you're not on the list as the reply-to
> is set to it) and in particular to Egbert Eich
> <eich at hilbert.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de>

The PCI stuff is sorted by Geert's PCI patch. I'll post a fix for 2.2.15
shortly. The remaining trouble is with 16 and 32 bpp support which may be
a problem with atyfb as well. If it's a X problem the xfree people will
hear about it.

> Nothing will ever happen if you're complaining about X on linuxppc-dev.

Well, as you will have noticed, various people here helped pushing me in
the right direction (fixing the PCI conflicts in the kernel). I doubt the
xfree list would have been the place to ask PPC kernel questions.

	Michael