LongTrail PCI resource assignment

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Sat Mar 25 09:16:08 EST 2000

On  24 Mar, this message from Michael Schmitz echoed through cyberspace:

>> >Another advantage of no longer using the information from the OF tree is that
>> >we can just call pci_assign_unassigned_resources() and get everything
>> >reassigned, without worrying about inconsistencies with the OF device tree.
>> >
>> >BTW, if you do want to keep the OF device tree consistent,
>> >pcibios_update_resource() is the place to do this.
>>
>> If this is called _after_ we have done the bus re-numbering, updating the
>> OF tree will be difficult since we need the old bus number to match the
>> PCI device with it's OF entry.
>
> On a somewhat related issue (the PCI mapping funnies for the Lombard and
> possibly other Rage Pro devices): what are the penalties if I 'correct'
> the PCI mapping for the Rage Pro within atyfb_of_init?

A good advice: don't do it ;-). If OF does something wrong with the ATI
device, then fix it in arch-specific PCI fixup code, so that all other
code using that device can be left untouched.

Put the special code in the special places, so that the general code
only needs to care for the general case ;-)

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |