LongTrail PCI resource assignment

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Mar 25 04:40:37 EST 2000

> > So it's perfectly legal for resources within the same device to overlap?
> > WTF does X not tolerate this and disables the overlapping one?
>
> It may be legal if the internal decoders are prioritized and the priority
> is the right one (which it should if the firmware has set it up this way).

They are prioritized the right way: if you memset the whole aperture to 0
the chip freaks out instead of just painting the whole screen black. Been
there, done that.

> I don't consider it good practice though, especially when it saves only
> minute amounts of address space. X should tolerate this in any case
> however, it should admit that it is not always smarter than the firmware.

Well, arguing with X is pointless. So far I've always got the short end of
the stick :-)

> > I'm not sure adding subtrees will help - I guess X might go ahead and
> > disable the main resources anyway. Will the subtree resources remain
> > accessible in that case?
>
> Yes, but then I have given up on trying to understand X :-( Oh and the

I mean: if someone disables the original resource, what happens to the
new resources?

	Michael