Synchronous SCSI at 10MB/s on Lombard? (fwd)

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Sat Mar 25 04:15:38 EST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:46:30 +0000, Iain Sandoe <iain at sandoe.co.uk> wrote:

>>  I second the question.  And what does "safe" mean?  Could these
>> aggressive settings damage your data, your hardware, or both?  If it's
>> just data, then that's okay for me to try.  I'll turn it off when I
>> find corrupted data.
>>  Thanks!
>
> "Safe" is a bit tricky in this case - it is likely to be
> temperature-dependent and subject to fairly random behaviour when you get
> close to the limit.
>
> Most likely the data is at highest risk - with the possibility of trashing
> the entire disk (rather than just Linux partitions).
>
> It is very hard to see a way in which the H/W could be damaged because most
> aspects of the scsi transfer are negotiated.  You would have to work fairly
> hard a finding a series of catastrophic failures resulting in overheating...
>
> aspects of the scsi transfer are negotiated.  You would have to work fairly
> hard a finding a series of catastrophic failures resulting in overheating...
>
> apropos the number of pins:
> There are two reasons for more pins on scsi
> 1/ to use a differential bus - which was also an option on scsi-1
>
> This allows longer interconnect and/or greater noise immunity.
>
> 2/ to have access to the UW/scsi-2/3 features
>
> (e.g. more data or address bits).
>
> AKAIK the Macs have never had any external (or 'standard' internal) busses
> that were differential (although maybe the IIfx did).  There are some cards
> like that that were installed as standard - e.g. on my G3/Minitower - but
> it's usually link-selectable anyway.
>
> apropos chaining different devices:
> A number of scsi drivers (e.g. IIRC the ones one the suns) used to probe at
> different rates (for sync operation) and back off to the lowest rate that
> worked in the chain.
>
> I don't know if this principle is used by the Linux drivers (but I'm sure
> some guru will comment).
>
> AFAIK this is necessary at some stages of the bus negotiation - although
> once the transaction is agreed there may be the option of going faster (hmmm
> seems a bit dodgy electrically).
>
> Anyway this was/still is a good reason for separating high performance
> devices from low.
>
> Personally, the pain of dealing with an unreliable and unpredictable system
> doesn't seem worth push one's luck ;-)
>
> By far the best solution is to check the specs on the devices you have
> (usually obtainable on the www), and take a peek at the ANSIs for SCSI
> (although you might have to buy these or get them through a library).

Thanks a lot, hardware damage was also my main concern. This and Michel's
poting pretty much cleared anything I wanted to know. I haven't seen any
messages about scsi negotiation errors so far, so I guess I'll push my
luck a little farther ;^).
I had a lot of scsi troubles with an external hd and a Tandberg tape under
mklinux, mostly due to a bad quality cable and bad termination, but then
the Mach Kernel spew tons of error messages at me.
The Orb is capable of Ultra scsi, so I suppose fast scsi should pose no
problems on this side. I haven't tried to hook the tape drive to that chain,
maybe I'll test it, too, but I'd have to get another adapter cable first
(and a good one, this time!), now having to connect 25-pin sub-D, 50-pin HD
and a Centronix connector |-(.

Cheers,
							Derek