LongTrail PCI resource assignment

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Mar 25 03:30:01 EST 2000

> > Bug in X: the big endian frame buffer is at base + 0x800000.
>
> It doesn't know about the meaning behind the regions.

And X uses the base address and offset returned by fb_mmap anyway. The
whole probing of PCI resources is completely pointless for the framebuffer
driver. That's what the kernel framebuffer code is for IMHO (and I think
Geert will agree on that).

> > Besides, why does X need this? If it uses fbdev, all it should notice is
> > that the reported fix.smem_start lies within the 16 MB for this PCI device,
> > so it should not touch that PCI directly, only through the fbdev API
> > (ioctl+mmap).
>
> You should discuss that on the X-devel list, in particular with Egbert Eich
> (and Jeff Garzik, and ... :).

I'd like to reach a point where I understand what's happening in the
XFree PCI code before getting into that sort of discussion. And the X
source is way too convoluted for me to achieve that right now.

I'll stick to pre-4.0 XFree rather.

	Michael