Patches to fix aty128fb and xf400 r128 to work with both Rage128 and Rage128Pros

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Thu Mar 23 03:49:58 EST 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:

>   The current code always assume that the ROM is a BIOS one, the 2 bytes
> that it checks in the beggining are probably present in OF ati cards as
> well so it thinks that everything is ok, we need to know if the card has
> an OF rom or not (this is needed for other places in xfree as well the
> int10 module will try to softboot OF cards also), i am sure there is a way
> to find this i'll check the OF docs and see if i can find something.

All ROMS start AFAICT with 0x55,0xaa (or the other way around) followed by
a byte which gives the size of the ROM in 512 bytes blocks. On x86 the
entry point is at offset 0x03 and is always a jump (at least I have never
seen a board in whichit was not a jump), the opcode of which is 0xe9 or
0xeb. Could this be used as a test or as at least an heuristic ?

	Gabriel.