PPC/MCA RS/6000 port ?

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Tue Mar 21 06:53:46 EST 2000

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 09:57:45PM -0500, David Edelsohn wrote:

> 	I do not have any hardware specs for these machines offhand, but
> the interrupt controller may very well be PC-like cascaded 8259s.

> 	The PPC601 was a POWER architecture chip with additional user-mode
> PowerPC instructions.  It was based on the existing RSC (RIOS Single Chip)
> processor that IBM already was using and allowed the first PowerPC chip
> implementation to be developed and deployed very rapidly.  The supervisor
> state of the chip was all POWER architecture, not PowerPC Books II and
> III.  The direct store segments were a way to access special devices on
> the I/O bus.

What does this mean in concern to the existing PPC port ? As i understand
the linuxppc port does already run on 601 - So the CPU is already
supported - Leaves us with bootstrap/bootprom and special architecture
(interrupts, scsi controller, serial ports etc)

Right ?

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo at rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566