controlfb: please test!

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Sun Mar 19 06:32:59 EST 2000

Well, first of all, there are two different 'current' controlfb's.  One
of them is in the PPC 2.2 tree and the other in the 2.3 tree (both
bitkeeper), I believe.  Did you try both of those?  I'm pretty sure I
fixed this quite thoroughly in one or the other.

I admit (ashamedly) to not remembering which.

Actually, on closer look, I thought that the 2.3 code was correct.
Could you compare to Andrew's observations in the comment above the
code?  Is he wrong?  I certainly can't see how his comment would be
unless there is a memory scheme he was not detecting, and I do not
think there is.

I have a bunch of other patches to merge for controlfb anyway, so now
is a good time to straighten this out... with luck and speed we can get
a fix into 2.3.99preX.

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 10:03:05AM +0100, Michel Lanners wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> You may remeber my problems (and the many other problems reported over
> the years ;-) with controlfb's detection of the amount of VRAM
> installed.
>
> Well, it seems control has some bugs, which makes detection less easy,
> and until now, only one of two possible schemes for the memory layout
> was correctly detected.
>
> Well, I think it's time to clean this mess up, so I want _all_
> developers with any machine that has the control hardware
> (PowerMacs 7300, 7500, 7600, 8500, 8600, clones?) to try the following
> patch on a 2.3 kernel, and report the results to me.
>
> Mine look like this, with 2 MB in bank2:
> control: mem at 0x000000: no
> control: mem at 0x200000: no
> control: mem at 0x400000: no
> control: mem at 0x600000: yes
> controlfb: Memory bank 1 absent, bank 2 present, total VRAM 2MB
>
> Please include yur VRAM configuration, and if you have the time, please
> try all possible combinations (2MB in either bank1 or bank2, and 4MB).

Dan

|         dan at debian.org         |  |       dmj+ at andrew.cmu.edu      |