unable to open driver

Reni Pachernegg rene.pachernegg at apus.co.at
Sun Mar 19 06:24:44 EST 2000

Hi,

I am writing a special serial console driver for our embedded linuxppc
system. The registration of the serial console driver works fine and I
get all the kernel messages via printk.

The registration of ttyS works fine too. But the open(/dev/console) in
main.c successfully doesnt work. I tried the open with ttyS and all the
other drivers I registered successfully too. I followed the open
instruction up to open_namei in namei.c where the return value is
ENOENT.

How comes that the pseudofiles of the drivers dont exist? Doesnt the
registration include the creation of these files? Do I have to create
them myself with do_mknod?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
	Rene