Different Mac Models.

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org
Wed Mar 15 07:02:29 EST 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > G4 series, and even they appear to have ADB internally for the front panel
> > buttons, as far as I can tell, as does the Lombard PowerBook.  I don't
> > know if Pismo uses ADB, but if I were a betting man....  Oh, and the
>
> I bet it does. It would be too much hassle to make USB versions of
> keyboard and trackpad.

It's not that.  It's that it's too big a hassle to make a USB version of
the power management stuff that's part of the adb chip.  :-)  Besides, I
doubt the trackpad and keyboard ADB hardware is on the devices themselves.
It's probably part of the motherboard, with a raw data connection to the
devices.  Not sure of that, though -- I've never gutted a trackpad.  ;-)

> > Lombard also appeared to have a SWIM III.  Sad that nobody uses it, as it
> > would be so much faster at floppies than those bloody SuperDisk drives....
>
> Floppies are a technologial dead and. ADB, on the other hand ... ;-)

I disagree.  Floppies are the closest thing to a cross-platform storage
medium that exists currently.  They're dirt cheap so you don't feel bad
about throwing them away if they fail.  Perhaps most importantly, almost
every machine on the planet has a floppy drive.  They may be dying, but
they're sure holding on with a vengeance.  :-)

Later,
David