Does a Cinema Display work with Linux?

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 14 19:35:49 EST 2000

At 7:29 PM +0100 3/13/00, Holger Bettag wrote:
>Hi people,
>
>I have this crazy idea of wasting all my savings on a G4 PowerMac with a
>Cinema Display. Can I hope for this setup to work under Linux (or rather X11)?
>
>I suspect that Macs bundled with a Cinema Display possibly come with a
>different graphics card (than other G4 Macs),

Apple is only shipping one type of card right now, regardless of
display.  It's a Rage 128 Pro AGP board with both a VGA connector and
a digital flat panel connector on the back.

>  or that at least the graphics
>hardware has to be programmed completely differently.

It probably does need to have some different programming, yes.

>Can anybody give me a hint as to what I can expect? (I don't think I'd be
>qualified to extend Linux or XFree with support for this LCD, so I won't
>just buy it and worry later.)

You can probably at least assume that you'll be able to use it
unaccelerated at its native resolution via offb.

   Tim Seufert