Xfree86 4.0

James B. Parker pajama1 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 14 06:59:50 EST 2000

<snip> from schmitz at mail.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de on 3/13/00 1:59 PM

> You'll need to create a new XF86Config (XFree86 -configure should, in
> theory, do that).
> Depending on your kind of video hardware, XFree 4.0 will just not work at
> this time. I spent the last few days debugging the X server on my Lombard
> and almost trashed my installation in the process. It seems with the new
> XFree release, the X server on PPC finally became equally unstable as the
> Intel one :-)
> Michael

Actually, I do have a XF86Config file.  After the build/install I ran
Xconfigurator (it finally recognized 6mb of vram) and then just skipped the
test section.

BTW, my video hardware is the basic rage pro found in rev. 2 G3's.  I am
pretty sure Xconfig recognized the chip.  My main problem now is just
solving the "no screens" issue.

So what are screens and where are they located?

James