gdb and multi-threaded applications.

Michael Snyder msnyder at cygnus.com
Tue Mar 14 00:05:38 EST 2000

Kevin Buettner wrote:

> On Mar 10,  1:03pm, jjs wrote:
>
> > Sorry I have not been back to you sooner, I have been distracted by other
> > things. I tried getting a test application to exhibit the same behaviour
> > with no luck. However, I did notice that before the call to pthread_create
> > to start up the new thread we have the line:
> >
> >     pthread_sigmask(SIG_BLOCK, &fullSigMask, &sigMask);
> >
> > All the bits in fullSigMask are set, so this call blocks all signals to the
> > calling thread. Commenting this line out makes everything work under gdb,
> > the new thread gets created and doing 'info threads' after this gives me a
> > list of all the threads running in the process. This implies that gdb
> > requires a signal to be unblocked at the point the thread is created.

Your analysis is correct.  The linuxthreads library uses certain
signals to communicate and synchronize between threads.  GDB
listens in on these signals.  Most commonly they are SIGUSR32,
SIGUSR33 and SIGUSR34, but this is not always the case.  I would
think that blocking these signals might affect more than just
GDB debugging (ie. it might affect the program's behavior directly).

> > If
> > this is fact the case, which signal must we not block in order for correct
> > operation under gdb?
>
> SIGCHLD.
>
> (I think.)

SIGCHLD does come into play as well, although I have never
fully understood its role.  Try unblocking SIGCHLD, but also
be prepared to try unblocking the ones I mentioned above.