2.3.50+vlab mvme bootload

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Sun Mar 12 04:41:34 EST 2000

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, David Monro wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've had a shot at booting using your prep bootloader - grabbed the
> patch from vlab and dropped it into the bitkeeper 2.3.50 tree. The patch
> went in cleanly and the build suceeded.
>
> However it behaves in a strange way. I've only managed to make it
> produce any output at all once, and I still don't know what I did to
> make it boot that time. Normally it simply sits there and then
> eventually goes beep and reboots. Below is the output from the one time
> I got any:
>
> Keyboard error 2, using serial console!

Normal, the bootloaderr switches automaticaly to serial console when it
does not find a display _and_ a connected keyboard.

> Model: IBM PPS Model 6050/6070 (E)
> Serial: IBM607055372CD
> Processor/Bus frequencies (Hz): 133333333/66666667
> Time Base Divisor: 4000
> Original MSR: 1030
> Original HID0: d000c084
> Original R31: 3fb268
>
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> Configurable PCI resources:
[That's how they were originally mapped]
> IO Port resources:
>    00000000 007fffff 00000100 (@09ff90b8)
>      00000000 00000000 40000100 (@09f43198)
>        20000000 200000ff 60000101 (@09f43a74)	<--- too high for Linux
>        01000200 0100021f 60000101 (@09f435a4)
>        00001000 00001007 60000101 (@09f4333c)
> IO Memory resources:
>    00000000 3cffffff 00000200 (@09ff90d4)
>      00000000 00000000 40000200 (@09f431b4)
>        01000000 01ffffff 60000200 (@09f43cdc)
>        013fff00 013fffff 60000200 (@09f43a90)
>        02800000 02ffffff 60000200 (@09f4380c)
>        00000000 0000001f 60000200 (@09f435c0)	<--- disabled
>      00000000 00000000 40001200 (@09f431d0)
>        000c0000 000c7fff 60007200 (@09f43d84)
>        000c0000 000cffff 60007200 (@09f438b4)
>        00000000 0000ffff 60007200 (@09f4364c) <--- disabled
> Allocation requirements: io=00001000, mem=01a00000
[snipped]
> Allocated PCI resources:
[After the alocator has run]
> IO Port resources:
>    00000000 007fffff 00000100 (@09ff90b8)
>      00010000 00010fff 40000100 (@09f43198)
>        00010000 000100ff 40000101 (@09f43a74) <--- SCSI
>        00010100 0001011f 40000101 (@09f435a4) <--- Ethernet
>        00010120 00010127 40000101 (@09f4333c) <--- FireCoral
> IO Memory resources:
>    00000000 3cffffff 00000200 (@09ff90d4)
>      01000000 028fffff 40000200 (@09f431b4)
>        01000000 01ffffff 40000200 (@09f43cdc) <--- 16Mb video RAM (9100)
>        02000000 027fffff 40000200 (@09f4380c) <--- 8Mb video RAM (S3)
>        02800000 028000ff 40000200 (@09f43a90) <--- SCSI
>        02800100 0280011f 40000200 (@09f435c0) <--- Ethernet
>      02900000 029fffff 40001200 (@09f431d0)
>        02900000 0290ffff 40007200 (@09f438b4) <--- ROM
>        02910000 0291ffff 40007200 (@09f4364c) <--- ROM
>        02920000 02927fff 40007200 (@09f43d84) <--- ROM

So far the allocation of PCI resources looks reasonable, quite compact
without clashes...
> Calling the emulator.
> ROM enabled @2920000
> bad signature: 4444.

No problem, the emulator does not find a valid ROM signature and gives up
before trying to execute the ROM BIOS...

> Linux/PPC load: console=ttyS0 root=/dev/hda5 hda=3079,64,32 hdc=swapdata
> -b
>
> Uncompressing the kernel...done
> Now building bootinfo...
> done
> Now booting...
> Kernel at 0x00000000, size=0x204024
> Initrd at 0x09ff8af8, size=0x0
> Boot info 0x00205000, size=0x78
> Residual data at 0x00206000

Now the following is strange:

> loaded at:     00358050 0036EE70
> relocated to:  00800000 00816E20
> board data at: 00121FE0 001289EC
> relocated to:  00810314 00816D20
> zimage at:     00363050 003F0DD0
> relocated to:  00817000 008A4D80
> avail ram:     00400000 00800000

these are the messages from the oter bootloader as if it were nested or
something strange. Here is what I get on my machines:
Calling the emulator.
ROM enabled @fc6b0000

Linux/PPC load: console=ttyS0

Uncompressing the kernel...done
Now building bootinfo...
done
Now booting...
Kernel at 0x00000000, size=0x1e72c4
Initrd at 0x00eca000, size=0x0
Boot info 0x001e8000, size=0x4c
Residual data at 0x001e9000
PReP architecture
Total memory = 16MB; using 0kB for hash table (at 00000000)
Linux version 2.3.50 (root at vdevel) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release/franzo)
) #11 Thu Mar 9 12:09:21 CET 2000
Boot arguments: console=ttyS0

> and then it sat there for a while, then went beep and rebooted.

I don't understand how you got this, but did I mention how to use prepboot
or not ?

select CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL to make CONFIG_PREPBOOT available. Then take
the zImage in arch/ppc/prepboot prodiced by make zImage. it can be dd'ed
onto a 0x41 type partition or netbooted if your netboot provides residual
data.

> I assume that the other times it booted it tried to send the output
> somewhere other than the serial ports, but it didn't turn up on either
> of the video ports. I even tried booting with the keyboard unplugged,
> but that didn't work either.

Unplugging the keyboard may help with my bootloader since it should
automatically fall back to serial console. Actually if the keyboard was
plugged it might have failed depending on the mode of the video...

> Looks like it is doing some sort of resource reallocation, even if I
> have no idea what all the numbers mean yet :-) I assume the 'Calling the
> emulator' bit means it tried to execute one of the non-existent video
> roms in the system and failed.

It tried, but failed before doing any damage since the signature
did not indicate a valid rom.

	Gabriel.