aty128fb does not work in newer sawtooth machines

Kevin Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 12 04:22:50 EST 2000

Hi,

Well from the of-device tree I have found out that my graphics card device id
is 0x5046 which equates to a Rage 128 Pro PF card.

Luckily the r128 driver in XFree 4.0 knows about this card and it is not
significantly different from the Rage128 RE card I have in my B+W G3.

I think the whole thing comes down to the default timing info being okay for
Rage128RE but not okay for RAGE128PF

 >  > I looked in aty128fb.c in the kernel
and they hav hardwired defaults which I > can easily change but I need to know
about timing info that Mac OS uses. >  > Do you know of any probe code or
anything at all that can determine timing info > from the MacOS side of things.

I will keep looking.

I am going to add this card to the Xpmac source so that it tries to use its
acceleration code simply on the straight OF frame buffer.  If that works, then
I should be able to use Xpmac to get some of timing info.

Kevin