compiler optimization? something else?

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 10:01:05 EST 2000

	Guys.  Let's get Marc a Powerbook.  A relevant Powerbook, which I
assume would require a G3, would cost about $1000-2000.  See
http://www.powerbookguy.com, who's a new/used dealer in Oakland, CA.
Perhaps a 1400 could be upgraded with a G3 card, as a more
cost-effective purchase.  I dunno, but afaik the only relevant criteria
are these:

* cheap, small, easy to ship to Germany without wrecking it
* G3 cpu
* plenny of RAM, maybe at least 96 MB

	And Marc could supply whatever else, such as display, ethernet (file
server), etc.
	OTOH, if Marc has additional skills such as device drivers, we can
send him a current system such as Wallstreet or Lombard, and have him
additionally code some support for graphics, power management,
Cardbus/pcmcia, and USB.
	Is that correct?  Let's hear from Marc and from the LinuxPPC guys.  I
don't know who else is at Linuxppc.com, who would be the most likely
candidate for funding such a purchase.  Gabe and I would be glad to
make the purchase and ship it out.

--- Gabriel Ricard <g_ricard at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been looking for ways to get Marc Lehman a
> PowerBook so he could work on optimizing the PowerPC
> GCC compiler. Marc (pcg at goof.com) is the person behind
> the PentiumGCC compiler. I've talked with him and
> others about this many times now and he is totally
> willing to work on it, except he doesn't have a PPC
> system, and doesn't have room for a desktop machine,
> or else I woulda shipped him one, even though he lives
> in Europe.
>
> If I can't find anyone willing to donate a Powerbook,
> or help chip in for one maybe it would be possible to
> setup a box somewhere on a network connection, maybe I
> can get the guys at VA to let me stick a box in the
> community racks, then he could work on it remotely.

=====
"Don't expect your own messiah; this neverworld which you desire is
only in your mind." -- http://www.dreamtheater.net/songb4.htm#IV5