AltiVec on Linux

jrosenau at midway.uchicago.edu jrosenau at midway.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 9 07:26:53 EST 2000

So on Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 12:59:29PM -0600, Greg Allen was all like,

>Unfortunately, powerpc-eabisim-g++ doesn't recognize "vector" at all.
>That's right, boys and girls, NO C++ SUPPORT WITH ALTIVEC!
>
>So we have to patch g++ the same way gcc was patched -- to extend the C++
>language for AltiVec.

But vector is already a type in the STL, so it can't be supported in g++
without breaking that.  I guess you could overload all sorts of neat
stuff, but it really does sound like a hack.  Why not create a standard
library that would handle MMX, 3Dnow!, Altivec, whatever?  If there's a
standard interface to those, we should encourage Motorola to make
altivec work the same way.

Josh