[OFF TOPIC] Re: What is Taligent? {Was: Re: IBM 850}

Bill Brooks wbrooks at lug.ee.calpoly.edu
Wed Mar 8 10:17:16 EST 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Tony Mantler wrote:

> [...]
> I belive Taligent was actually an independant company, but I think it's
> safe to say that there was quite a bit of involvement from both Apple and
> IBM.

It was wholy-owned jointly by Apple, IBM and later even HP bought in. That
was the problem. Instead of concentrating on the kernel, they decided to
make the CommonPoint system (roughly analagous to what MacApp does, with a
dramatically wider scope) run on top of AIX, Copeland and HP/UX.

> It's a shame that old dead OSes like Taligent and the like aren't put out
> to pasture as opensource, if only so all the Linux/BSD/whatever kernel
> hackers can have some sort of refrence as to what an OS that isn't *nix
> looks like. Heaven forbid it might inspire some original innovation. ;)

Indeed.

Bill