LinuxPPC vs. RedHat???

John L Grantham jgrantha at hannover.sgh-net.de
Thu Mar 2 06:31:28 EST 2000

On 1/3/00 8:28 pm, David A. Gatwood at dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org was
inspired to say:

>On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, John L Grantham wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/00 6:17 pm, David A. Gatwood at dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org was
>> inspired to say:

>> >That's what all the PPC Linux distros are based on, yes.
>>
>> <nitpick>Not Debian...</nitpick>
>
>Is the Debian distribution a working distribution now?  I'd gotten the
>impression that it was still a work-in-progress.

Define "working". :-)

Seriously, my impression (admittedly I haven't tried Debian yet, though I
have no pressing need to do so--even though I would like to try out
apt-get...) is that it's working, but still officially in beta.

Statement from Debian: "Debian/PowerPC is considered to be stable as of
February, 1998, and is currently being consolidated for release. More
than 90% of the Debian packages are available, with the remaining
packages being processed. Debian/PowerPC will be officially released with
the next version of Debian (2.2; code-named potato)."

Speaking of which, would apt work on a Red Hat-based distro at all?

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer