LinuxPPC vs. RedHat???

John L Grantham jgrantha at hannover.sgh-net.de
Thu Mar 2 04:31:34 EST 2000

On 1/3/00 6:17 pm, David A. Gatwood at dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org was
inspired to say:

>On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Info wrote:
>
>> I need to buy a workstation for Linux development (C++,JAVA,PERL,etc)
>> and would like to buy a Mac instead of Wintel.
>>
>> -Is LinuxPPC 2000 on par with RedHat 6.1?
>
>That's what all the PPC Linux distros are based on, yes.

<nitpick>Not Debian...</nitpick>

>> -Other than recompiling on wintel for delivery, can anyone see
>> potential problems with using LinuxPPC in a RedHat shop?
>> -Any known problems with JAVA tools (JDK, JSDK, Tomcat)?
>
>You mean taking LinuxPPC and trying to rebuild it on x86?  Good luck.  The
>words source compatible tend to be somewhat exaggerated when it comes to
>real-world use, especially where RPMs are involved.  Just MHO.

Agreed. However, if you want to use LinuxPPC for development for Red Hat,
so long as you have decent cross-compilers I don't see why there would be
a major problem. But Java tools are still pretty much Intel-centric
AFAIK. (Now isn't that an oxymoron...Java on one platform. ;-P )

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer