cannot mount a floppy disc

Jerry Van Baren vanbaren_gerald at si.com
Tue Jun 27 21:44:28 EST 2000

Did you changed your software just before this started happening?  If
not, it sounds like your floppy drive is dying (dead, actually).  The
symptoms match dead hardware pretty well: I/O error (cannot read the
floppy), unkillable 100% CPU (the driver is really, really busy
retrying a write operation).  Unfortunately, a screwed up driver can
have the same symptoms.

gvb