ide_delay_50ms() freezing on PPC?

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Mon Jun 26 04:13:46 EST 2000

Hi all,

The latest 2.4.0 kernels don't boot on my machine anymore. They just
freeze in detecting the Promise Ultra66 IDE controller, specifically in
ide_delay_50ms(). Here is the code:

void ide_delay_50ms (void)
{
#ifndef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS
        unsigned long timeout = jiffies + ((HZ + 19)/20) + 1;
        while (0 < (signed long)(timeout - jiffies));
#else
        __set_current_state(TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE);
        schedule_timeout(HZ/20);
#endif /* CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS */
}

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is support for PCMCIA IDE devices, which is not
configured in my kernel. So that function hangs if using the 'manual'
delay. Everything is OK if I force it to use schedule_timeout(), which
by the way was always the case until a few kernels ago.

So, why does the 'manual' way hang? (I suppose interrupts are not
disabled at this point, are they?)

And why can we only use schedule_timeout() if compiling with
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS?

Thanks

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |