name space pollution Was Re: [linux-fbdev] CTFB 0.30 now availiable (CT65554...CT69000)

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Wed Jun 21 09:40:32 EST 2000

> If we have several submodules as parts of a framebuffer we have some symbols
> within the namespace of this framebuffer. When we compile it as a separate
> module for modprobe there is no problem. But when we compile it as part of the
> kernel these frambuffer specific symbols are polluting the kernel namespace. Is
> there an elegant way to make the framebuffer specific symbols invisible for the
> kernel after we have  our xxxfb.o?

Hum? I don't know. Anyone? I usually don't think about namespace
pollution. I just makes sure I bizarre names so they don't conflict with
anything else.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons  [jsimmons at linux-fbdev.org]               ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer                             \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                               =(_)=
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net                            U
http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net