Need for Cross Platform Updates Distribution

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Mon Jun 19 19:13:10 EST 2000

Hollis Blanchard wrote:

> Of course you usually *can* get a foreign rpm to install,

I know, I've updated a few hopelessly outdated packages on the SuSE 6.4 at
work using RedHat RPMs.

> it's just that it's not unusual for it not to work with your system (or may
> break other things in your system). Since neither company is testing their
> software packages for compatibility with the other, this is not unexpected.

Thanks, I think I understand the problem.

Sorry, forgot to mention www.freestandards.org

> > > I should also note that Debian packages also don't work well with other
> > > distributions.
> >
> > But at least there aren't incompatible flavours of debs - you find a deb
> > somewhere, you install it, it works.
>
> Debian is of course a single organization (and honestly I don't know
> anything about Corel or Storm or any compatibility issues there - isn't
> Corel using an old glibc?).

The .deb dependancy system won't let you install a package which wouldn't work
unless you really really want to.

> If only RedHat used RPM, you can bet any rpm you could find would work.

True. A good point for .deb IMHO ;)

Michel

--
Why drink & drive when you can smoke and fly???
Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86, Team *AMIGA*, AUGS