7200 & bitkeeper/linuxcare devel?

Takashi Oe toe at unlserve.unl.edu
Sat Jun 3 07:40:59 EST 2000

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Andreas Tobler wrote:

> Hi,
> has anyone gotten a bitkeeper 2.4.0test1-ac7 or a linuxcare 2.3.99p9 to
> boot under a 7200?

I think I know why the kernel fails to boot on your machine.  I had to get
around this problem for my current project.  I've sent a patch for it to
Paul about a week ago, but, so far, nothing happened yet.  Just in case,
the same patch is attached here.

In your last post, you had a xmon log which said something like ".....
vector: 700 ....", and I infer that kernel died with program check
exception.

Anyway, in arch/ppc/kernel/time.c, timer_interrupt() and do_gettimeofday()
use "mftb" instruction which is not implemented in PPC 601, hence, the
exception.  The patch workarounds this, but, personally, I feel the
previous implementation which just used DEC register was better than my
patch or the current one when all PPCs are considered.

Takashi Oe