CONFIG_PPC != Mac

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Mon Jul 31 00:56:02 EST 2000

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > The Master PPC Penguin decided to no longer allow to build machine specific
> > kernels, but treat PowerMac/PReP/MTX/CHRP as one big machine type
> > (`CONFIG_ALL_PPC').
>
> Where does APUS fit in there?

APUS is something different (CONFIG_APUS, cfr. arch/ppc/config.in). Currently
it's not possible to build one kernel that supports both APUS and any other
machine type anyway.

So currently you have to compile a kernel for _either_

    PowerMac/PReP/MTX/CHRP (CONFIG_ALL_PPC)
 or Gemini (CONFIG_GEMINI)
 or EST8260 (CONFIG_EST8260)
 or APUS (CONFIG_APUS)

Personally I'd more like a configuration where you can select whatever you
want of

  - PowerMac (CONFIG_PMAC)
  - PReP (CONFIG_PREP)
  - MTX (CONFIG_MTX)
  - CHRP (CONFIG_CHRP)
  - Gemini (CONFIG_GEMINI)
  - EST8260 (CONFIG_EST8260)
  - APUS (CONFIG_APUS)

with of course some extra logic to prevent illegal combinations.

The main reason why the Master PPC Penguin chose for the CONFIG_ALL_PPC option
was to be able to compile one kernel that would run on all his machines,
instead of having to compile multiple kernels, one for each machine.
I don't understand why he didn't want the flexibele scheme above, since it
would support anything you want, including his favorite configuration.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds