RS/6000 Model 170 Boots Linux

David Edelsohn dje at watson.ibm.com
Sun Jul 30 15:05:15 EST 2000

>>>>> bob  writes:

bob> The Power 3 in the 170 is running in 32 bit mode I assume?

	Yes, the system is running a 32-bit kernel.

bob> Also with reference to the PPC linux system running on the Beta Power 4
bob> is this also in 32 bit mode?

	Yes, the test system was running a 32-bit kernel.

bob> The Power 3,  RS6000-III and Power 4 are all 64 bit chips from what I
bob> understand and IBM's literature makes me think that AIX is indeed running
bob> in 64 bit mode with the ability to run 32 bit apps.

	The AIX 4.3 kernel is running in 32-bit mode on 64-bit processors
supporting 32-bit and 64-bit user applications.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje at watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598