powerbook hang from post-sleep cdrom access - fix

Michael Schmitz schmitz at zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Jul 28 05:27:29 EST 2000

> >Aye. Can you be more specific about 'do whatever needs to be done'? Can I
> >just send the disk a read command to wake it up? Send a reset
> >command?? Will a reset command hurt if I always send a drive reset
> >there?
>
> I don't know yet ;) I have to look more closely at my ATA spec. It may
> not be necessary to wakeup the disk in fact, the current code seems to be
> ok for the hard disk once the timeout has been bumped.

Except that when the disk has been shut down with hdparm -Y, it needs a
reset and that will only come after quite some number of retries ans
timeouts. Not for the faint of heart :-)

Let me know when you have some code to test. I can test with CD-ROM and
Zip in the media bay as well BTW. Are your current changes in Paul's
stable tree or in the bk stable only? Six rsync trees is a bit much for me
to manage :-)

XFree86 related PCI resource diff follows separate.

	Michael