[ANN] IRQ Latency tool 0.1.3 release.

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jul 26 21:54:16 EST 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >> I still haven't found the "hard-block" that is effecting the overall audio
> >> latency performance... ah well, back to the drawing board...
> >
> >Do you have IDE? The IDE driver turned out to be the major interrupt messing
> >problem on m68k, since it can disable interrupts for quite a while.
>
> We have some great IRQ blockers in Linux currently. IDE is one,
> especially in PIO mode where it disables IRQs by default during
> transferts (AFAIK), but I think also in the fbdevs where, I think, a
> bunch of lenghtly things like scrolling are done with IRQs disabled.

> I don't know how the fbdev case can be improved, I beleive James has some
> plans about that for 2.5...

There's indeed a global lock on the console, to prevent multiple accesses to
the console at once. This solves some problems, one being that some graphics
hardware crashes when both the CPU and the graphics accelerator touch the video
RAM at the same time.

Interrupts in fbdev would be nice for some high-end hardware, which can
trigger an interrupt when a bunch of graphics processing was done.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds