sound again [was: Re: xf4 bug report]

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Wed Jul 26 21:09:23 EST 2000

>> Just wanted to tell that after putting earphones to the Mac, the sound
>> comes. Appearently it is only the internal speaker which does not work.
>
>Just for the record:
>
>My Pismo shows the same behaviour, the 'compatible' file in /proc/device-tree
>says 'screamerawacs'.

I'm not completely sure, but some of these machines have the sound output
routed to an external I2C "SRS"/ampilfier module that drives the
speakers. We have code to set it up via Cuda on older machines, but not
for newer Core99 machines.

An interesting note also: When using this external module, Darwin driver
"fix" the AWACS volume to a constant value and uses the amplifier volume
control via I2C.

Ben.