MacSerial and Serial driver cohabitation

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Wed Jul 26 07:56:38 EST 2000

Hi all,

On  17 Jul, this message from Michael Schmitz echoed through cyberspace:
> I'd say agree on a fixed order of probing, allocate minors in that order
> (with the possible exception of allowing a driver to allocate specific
> minors out of order if someone wants to make sure their driver always
> gets the same minors).

Whoever fixes this problem should be decorated, and a statue put up in
his memory. ;-)

But if anyone is brave enough to attempt it, don't forget that there are
_two_ places where serial ports are probed for: serial console init very
early in the booting, and driver init much later in the boot process.
Those two should be guaranteed to be in sync re minor assignment/device
naming. Right now, that's not the case.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |