Xfree86 version 4.01

John Grimes jpgrimes at johngrimes.dyndns.org
Tue Jul 25 00:12:09 EST 2000

Decided to try Xfree86 version 4 again (it had been a few
months).  Recompiled, fixed up XF86Config and amazingly I now have 24 bit
color, 1280x1024, r128 accelerated X.  It is decidely faster than Xpmac
and its a great start.

But I want more :)

For some reason I can not get any other mode to work
(i.e. 640x480,1024x768, 800x600).  If any would fail I would expect it to
be 1280x1024 not the smaller modes.  I have no modelines defined, just
letting XF86 decided which modes to use.  Any ideas why the defaults don't
work?

Next is getting multiple monitors (Xinema) to work.  I know there has
been
discussion of this on the list.

First how do I find out the bus address of my internal video?  It doesn't
show up in /proc/pci although it is in /proc/fb.  This is on a
highly upgraded powercenter.

Also, I seem to have not saved it as I had thought, but does anyone have
an example XF86Config file for multiple monitors?

Congrats to the people who have worked on this, it is definetely an
improvement.

							john

--
           John Grimes - Mission Planner for Chandra X-Ray Telescope
Phone 	(H) 617-591-1393	(W) 617-496-7663	(Fax) 617-495-7356