cards initialized from offb (was: Re: [linux-fbdev] Re: [patch]VRAM detection in controlfb)

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Mon Jul 17 23:03:11 EST 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > This patch moves the initialization of some frame buffer devices from offb.c
> > to fbmem.c. It also reorders the initialization calls in fbmem.c.
> >
> > The patch mainly affects the users of the following frame buffer devices on
> > PowerMac and CHRP:
>
> >   - platinumfb
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> pm7200
>
> > Except for a simple compile test (except for the new ofonly logic), it is
> > untested. Please test it!! Many many thanks!
>
> I applied it with some massive handwork to a 2.4.0-test4 from
> hq.fsmlabs.com. So far I can't see some oddities.
> Afterstep runs....
>
> Do yu have some special testcases?

If it works as before, everything is fine. Please also verify that offb is
used instead of platinumfb if the option `video=ofonly' is passed to the
kernel (or `no video driver' is checked in BootX).

In /proc/iomem you should see which memory regions are in used by the frame
buffer device driver you are using (platinumfb or offb, in your case).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds