Keycodes for the new input layer

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Wed Jul 12 21:49:36 EST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Franz Sirl wrote:

> At 12:41 12.07.00, Derek Homeier wrote:
> >On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Franz Sirl wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Derek Homeier wrote:
[snip]

> >That was with Ben's precompiled kernel, but I have just rsynced the
> >2.2.17pre10-ben1 sources. The only differences are that the mouse buttons
> >now are not emulated by anything by default (at least I could not find any
> >key), the Fn key is not reported as an input event any longer (used to
> >be xkb-code 80 with xev), and the second Enter is not recognized at all,
> >neither w/ nor w/o Fn pressed. kernel_sends_linux_keycodes==1 does not
> >change anything for the mousebuttons, but annoyingly sets META to Option
> >(and of course resets the console map to US).
>
> It should be:
>
> ALT = optionL
> ALTGR = optionR
>
> by default in most PC maps and the default kernel maps I think. I'll have
> an updated console-tools package ready later today, which will do it right
> for most Macs:
>
> ALT = optionL
> ALTGR = commandL or commandR

I may disagree with a lot of people, but this does not seem right to me.
On international keyboards you need Mode_switch for a lot of characters
(as you'll certainly know ;-), which is usually bound to AltGr on PC-Hardware.
Under MacOS, this is effected by Option-Key combinations, so for a fully
MacOS-compatible keymap you need to have ALTGR bound to Option.
Also I feel that the purpose of the Meta or ALT(L) on Unix is more similar
to that of Cmd in MacOS, but that's rather my personal opinion.
Of course, things do not become simpler by the fact that optionL and
optionR are identical on most Mac keyboards. If it were possible to make
Fn-Opt generate ALTGR (or vice-versa), this would add some flexibility.

> >                                               _
> >I have to correct the keycodes I gave for the ^ key:
> >   _
> >   ^:    52, xkb keycode 60 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
> >         XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
> >     _
> >  Fn-^:  110, xkb keycode 118 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
> >"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "
> >
> >  RET:   36, xkb keycode 44 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
> >"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "
> >
> >  Fn-RET: 72, xkb keycode 84 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
> >"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "
> >
> >Both Opt and Fn-Opt are 58 (xkb 66).
> >(with 2.2.17pre9-benh1)
> >With  2.2.17pre10-benh1, syslog reports:
> >
> >Jul 12 02:12:45 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x34) pressed.
> >Jul 12 02:12:45 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x34) released.
> >      _
> >when ^ is pressed, and
> >
> >Jul 12 02:12:46 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x6e) pressed.
> >Jul 12 02:12:46 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x6e) released.
> >        _
> >for Fn-^.
>
> Ah, that's good information, just one question, what does the _^ key do in
> MacOS? I mean what can I do with this key in MacOS? Is it a modifier? A
> prefix? does it print characters?

It does mostly, but not always, the same as the Return key on the main
keyboard. For some applications, it behaves differently. In the Finder,
e.g. hitting KP_Enter will let you edit the name of the selected file.
I think under MacOS, there's no difference between Fn-Return and the
dedicated _^ key on the PB keyboard, and the standard ADB keyboard only
has one KP_Enter anyway.

I had another problem with the new input layer I forgot to mention:
Though I selected /dev/mouse (-> inputs/mice) as input device and imps2
as protocol, the mouse does not work in mol in the console mode.

HTH,
							Derek