Keycodes for the new input layer

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Wed Jul 12 20:41:37 EST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Franz Sirl wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Derek Homeier wrote:
> > One more cheers to the backport of the new USB input layer! Finally, I'm
> > able to use the trackpad and the usbmouse with wheel simultaneously in X,
> > and together with gpm. I have a couple of minor problems with the
> > configuration of the keys on my 101 Powerbook (Lombard), though:
> >
> > How do I figure out the keycodes for the "keypad"-enter key (between the
> > spacebar and the right option key, marked with a '_^')? I like this one
> > best for mousebutton emulation and mapped button 3 to kp_enter and
> > button 2 to fn-kp_enter. These had console keycodes 58 and 110.
> > With the new kernel, button 2 defaults to the fn-key alone (which makes
> > it useless for anything else) and, I think, option.
> > The only "enter" or "return" keys defined in input.h are KEY_ENTER=28 and
> > KEY_KPENTER=96, but when I print 96 to
> > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button3_keycode, button 3 is emulated by the
> > fn-return combination (which is also marked by '_^').
> > I recall that this other enter key seemed to be lost already in previous
> > 2.3 kernels, but I'd really like to get it back. Currently, this enter and
> > fn-enter are performing like the standard return key and no key at all,
> > respectively.
> > Another thing that puzzles me is that I can print 100 (KEY_RIGHTALT) to
> > mouse_button3_keycode. The left and right option keys on the PB keyboard
> > are indistinguishable, but with this setting, fn-opt is working as mouse-3,
> > and opt is still working normally. If fn-opt is not mapped to mouse-3,
> > however, it always gives the same keycodes as opt, so I found no way yet
> > to make it a regular right_alt or AltGr key. Is there a way to make it
> > generate a different keycode?
>
> Hmm, what kernel are you using? the binary on Ben's page or a selfcompiled
> one? Old mode (kernel_sends_linux_keycodes==0) or new mode
> (kernel_sends_linux_keycodes==0)?
>
> The Fn key is not really handled right now and probably requires more kernel
> support for the key combos not handled in HW. Anyone has a list of these
> combos?

That was with Ben's precompiled kernel, but I have just rsynced the
2.2.17pre10-ben1 sources. The only differences are that the mouse buttons
now are not emulated by anything by default (at least I could not find any
key), the Fn key is not reported as an input event any longer (used to
be xkb-code 80 with xev), and the second Enter is not recognized at all,
neither w/ nor w/o Fn pressed. kernel_sends_linux_keycodes==1 does not
change anything for the mousebuttons, but annoyingly sets META to Option
(and of course resets the console map to US).
                                              _
I have to correct the keycodes I gave for the ^ key:
  _
  ^: 	52, xkb keycode 60 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    	XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""
    _
 Fn-^:	110, xkb keycode 118 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "

 RET:	36, xkb keycode 44 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "

 Fn-RET: 72, xkb keycode 84 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
"   XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "

Both Opt and Fn-Opt are 58 (xkb 66).
(with 2.2.17pre9-benh1)
With  2.2.17pre10-benh1, syslog reports:

Jul 12 02:12:45 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x34) pressed.
Jul 12 02:12:45 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x34) released.
     _
when ^ is pressed, and

Jul 12 02:12:46 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x6e) pressed.
Jul 12 02:12:46 miranda kernel: Unhandled ADB key (scancode 0x6e) released.
       _
for Fn-^.

Thanks,
							Derek