RFC: Changing default partition type for linux/ppc

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Sat Jul 8 03:37:26 EST 2000

That sounds like a great idea.  Looking at:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Devices/Devices-126.html

You'll see:
pmParType
              A string that identifies the partition type. Names that
begin with Apple_ are reserved for use by Apple Computer, Inc....

It looks to me that this allows us to use any name we wish, as long as
it doesn't start with "Apple_"

My vote: let the kernel still look for Apple_UNIX_SVR2 the way it does
now.  Then I would like it to be able to use anything that starts with
"Linux".  That way people can name there parts types whatever they want,
but Linux_ext2 and Linux_swap should be defaults.

Anyway, thats my suggestions, do what you wish!

Thanks!
--Mark