RFC: Changing default partition type for linux/ppc

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 21:22:46 EST 2000

> Currently, the default partition type used by Linux/PPC on mac partition
> maps is Apple_UNIX_SVR2. This is historically the type used by Apple's A/
> UX for its own partitions. However, I don't like it since it gives no
> indication on the type of filesystem on the partition, and I see no
> reason to keep it.

This is a great idea - the Apple_UNIX_SVR2 bit is confusing at first.

- apart from the desire to have an 'easy to use' partition tool on the MacOS
side - for non-kernel-hackers (see Drive Partition thread).

What chance of getting Apple to support this move?

> So I suggest moving to Linux_ext2, Linux_swap, or maybe simply Linux and
> Linux_swap (since ext2 is not the only filesystem Linux may put on
> these). Using a different type for swap would help avoiding confusion.

What prospect of sharing swap space between MacOS X and linux in dual/multi
boot machines?

Iain.