RFC: Changing default partition type for linux/ppc

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Fri Jul 7 20:59:15 EST 2000

Hi all !

Currently, the default partition type used by Linux/PPC on mac partition
maps is Apple_UNIX_SVR2. This is historically the type used by Apple's A/
UX for its own partitions. However, I don't like it since it gives no
indication on the type of filesystem on the partition, and I see no
reason to keep it.

So I suggest moving to Linux_ext2, Linux_swap, or maybe simply Linux and
Linux_swap (since ext2 is not the only filesystem Linux may put on
these). Using a different type for swap would help avoiding confusion.

If everyone is ok, we can then update pdisk, and on my side, I'll update
the kernel's root-auto-detect mecanism to take this into account. (The
kernel will currently find by itself a root partition if it has the above
type and the name "root" and no root= option was specified by the bootloader).

Any comments ?

Ben.