Going from 2.2.12 to 2.2.17pre10

Michael Lundkvist ml at epact.se
Fri Jul 7 19:47:51 EST 2000

Gabriel Paubert <paubert at iram.es> writes:

> On 7 Jul 2000, Michael Lundkvist wrote:
>
> > I have to be able to create a standalone system so network boot is not
> > an option.
>
> Sigh, and falshing the kernel neither I suppose...

If I can find a stable version it is an option. And I actually have
plenty of time to look. I need a rock-stable system by the end of this
year.

> Fine, but 2.2.16 is claimed to have other problems (look at Alan's release
> notes for each 2.2.17-pre).

I'll try 2.2.17pre10 tonight and see if I have more luck with that.

> > I have tried two MVME-2400 boards but I haven't had time to do any
> > systematic testing. It always crashes in find_buffer in fs/buffer.c
> > during moderate to heavy disk activity. I'm starting to suspect that
> > the CMD646 isn't being setup correctly since it feels like the system
> > was more stable after a cold reboot. I'll have to test it a bit more.
>
> Ok, that's likely the cause. SCSI (NCR) disk access is rock solid here on
> MVME2600.

I guess I should talk to Ramix. They have been helpful before.
I'll also try to go back to an older version of the
CMD646-driver. There are a few timing related setup changes in the
newer versions.

> No, it's not the backplane, it's the implementation in the MVME boards:
>

> PCI bus <-> Universe <-> Layer of buffers <-> VME connectors
>
> The PCI bus is probably largely buried inside the PCB layers.
> The Universe is a BGA.
> The VME bus has only one (bidirectional) reset signal.
>
> However there are 2 VME reset signal buffer, one inwards and one outwards
> for 2 pins of the Universe (VME reset in and VME reset out).
>
> 	Universe       Buffers       VME connector
>
> 	VXSYSRST-------|>o--+
>                             |--------SYSRST*
> 	VRSYSRST#------<|---+
>
> The only accessible place (with adequate lab equipment) are the buffers:
> cut the input or the output of the receive buffer and connect it to the
> power supply (safer on the input since it can directly be connected to
> the buffer power supply while I'm not sure that some versions of the
> Universe are not 3.3V only)   .

OK. Then it looks quite possible. Thanks for the info.

/Micke