X still locks up

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Fri Jul 7 16:07:27 EST 2000

Hi all,

On   7 Jul, this message from Gwyn Judd echoed through cyberspace:
> 3) When I rebooted there was no kernel panic in the logs. This has me
> puzzled. I suppose it could have crashed and not had it written out to
> disk in time. On the otherhand this has happened before and each time
> there is no panic.

If you want to be sure you get all panic logs, the only way is to get a
serial console. The console is the only device that is guaranteed to get
a panic log, if one is produced. You'd also see it on a (screen) console
if you weren't running X...

There's a doc explaining serial console under the linux/Documentation
directory.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |